Poem : The Road Not Taken by Robert Frost
To present a compelling explication and interpretation in which you provide plenty of textual evidence in support of your thesis, that is, your interpretation. You will need to follow the ten steps specified on the other side of this sheet.
1. Is the poem LYRIC, NARRATIVE, or DRAMATIC? How do you know?
2. Underline all unfamiliar words and look up their DENOTATIONS in a dictionary; write out their definitions. After the denotations, write out a list of the CONNOTATIONS of ALL significant words (including those that you looked up).
3. Who’s speaking in this poem? Write out what you know about the narrator: Who is he or she? What can we learn about his or her personality? (Remember that the NARRATOR is not the same person as the author!)
4. What is the TONE of the poem? Write out the specific portions of the poem that lead you to conclude what the author’s attitude his. Is there a fundamental difference between what you expect and what you get in the poem? List any instances of IRONY that you find—and explain why you find them ironic.
5. Write out any words or lines that refer to a sense experience. To which sense(s) do these IMAGES appeal? Explain how the imagery intensifies what you feel about the poem and add your understanding of it.
6. Look closely for FIGURES OF SPEECH in the poem—and not just the “easy” ones like simile and metaphor, but the hard one like hyperbole, synecdoche, metonymy, etc. (consult your handout from class). Make a list of these figures of speech. What effect do these languages devices have upon you and your understanding of the poem?
7. What role does SOUND play in the poem? Write out any instances of alliteration, assonance, etc., and mark the rhyme scheme in the poem. Explain why the words linked by sound receive extra emphasis: what’s important about them and what they’re saying?
8. Mark the stressed and unstressed syllables in the poem. Do you detect a METER? What is it? Give at least one example of a scanned line.
9. Consider the FORM of the poem. Write out the rhyme scheme. Why do the lines end and begin where they do? Does the poem have stanzas? Why or why not? What does the form of the poem have to do with what the poem is saying?
10. Finally, write out your INTERPRETATION (not less than half a page) of the poem, using as evidence the information that you have gathered. Your interpretation must take into consideration all of the elements in the poem, not merely some of them. For more information on The Road Not Taken by Robert Frost check out : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Road_Not_Taken
Plagiarism Free Papers
Thehomeworkwritings.com’s team of writers write all papers from scratch. We deliver 100% original, unique papers. That’s what makes us the best custom homework writing service
We provide unlimited free revisions to all customers and on all papers. Try The Homework Writings today for the best custom homework writing service and experience in the industry.
Thehomeworkwritings.com gives clients title pages free of charge. Your only job is to fill out our order form. We will handle the rest.
As the leading essay writing service, we never submit any paper without a reference/bibliography page. We do this free of charge too.
Originality & Security
At Thehomeworkwritings.com, we take great pride in delivering only high-quality 100% original papers to all our clients. We also never share any of our clients’ information with third parties. Your data is safe with us.
24/7 Customer Support
No other custom homework writing service has a friendly, always available customer support team to respond to clients like us.
Try it now!
How it works?
Follow these simple steps to get your paper done
Place your order
Fill in the order form and provide all details of your assignment.
Proceed with the payment
Choose the payment system that suits you most.
Receive the final file
Once your paper is ready, we will email it to you.
Why outsource our services
We have the best customer support team for your essay writing needs.
You won’t find any other custom homework writing service with pricing as flexible and affordable as ours.
Admission help & Client-Writer Contact
We provide a direct line of communication with our writers for the best writing experience.
As the leading custom homework writing service, we take deadlines very seriously. You will have your paper submitted on time without any delays.
We truly value your feedback, good or bad, and always use your feedback to help us provide you with an even better custom homework writing service