the selection process.
2. (TCO 8) Steve sells traffic signs and tape to municipalities. In his region he has a few affluent communities that order the best items. Carla has even more communities in her region that are affluent, and she sells even more items. If their supervisor does not use some adjustment factor to account for the differences in regions when evaluating the performance of the two workers, the evaluations will exhibit (Points : 2)
3. (TCO 8) One of the major disadvantages of ranking as an appraisal method is that it (Points : 2)
cannot be used to compare people in different work groups.
does not measure the employees’ motivation to use their ability on a daily basis.
has opportunity bias.
compares employees to a fixed standard.
creates excessive competition among employees.
4. (TCO 8) Fairway Green Inc. has added a lucrative retirement plan for its employees that includes medical benefits for retirees. These benefits target which level of need in Maslow’s hierarchy (Points : 2)
5. (TCO 8) In most police forces, promotion to a higher grade comes after the officer has passed an examination. If Micah were unable to pass this examination after four tries, it is reasonable that he would decide that his friendships with the people he currently works with are more important than his promotion. He would have replaced ____ needs with ____ needs. (Points : 2)
6. (TCO 8) Cliff works for the New York Department of Transportation. He perceives that his union’s contract is so strong he can’t be fired and the only way he will get promoted is if the person above him dies or retires. He has (Points : 2)
low effort-to-performance expectancy and low performance-to-outcome expectancy.
low effort-to-performance expectancy and high performance-to-outcome expectancy.
high effort-to-performance expectancy and low performance-to-outcome expectancy.
high effort-to-performance expectancy and high performance-to-outcome expectancy.
7. (TCO 8) Adam felt neutral toward his Management class after the first week. However, after he made an A on this first exam, he said the class was great. This is an example of which of the following? (Points : 2)
Satisfaction leads to performance
Performance leads to satisfaction
Expectancy leads to high performance
Intrinsic rewards lead to performance
Satisfaction leads to intrinsic rewards
8. (TCO 9) ____ is the relatively stable set of psychological and behavioral attributes that distinguish one person from another. (Points : 2)
9. (TCO 9) Tom Evslin knew that using the Internet to make telephone calls was a good idea, but the static you get when you try to talk with a computer and a microphone to someone else with a computer and a microphone is unacceptable. He started a new company to make it possible to use the Internet to make clear telephone calls. He is very excited about his new company’s possibility and claims, “I have just barely opened the door for this new technology. We’re going to be more successful than AT&T.” Which of the following terms best describes Evslin? (Points : 2)
An internal locus of control
10. (TCO 9) Dale wants to work for a company that offers stock options. He used to work for a German company that did not offer its employees stock options. Now Dale has an offer from BASF, a German-owned corporation, but he is not very interested. Dale is using (Points : 2)
11. (TCO 8) What is the difference between training and developing? Briefly describe three methods companies use to teach employees? In what situation is each method best used? (Points : 5)
12. (TCO 9) Assume that the employees in your organization do not have high levels of job satisfaction or organizational commitment. How will you go about trying to improve these attitudes? (Points : 5)