1. Explain neurotransmission at the synapse: detail the roles played by the pre-synaptic cell, neurotransmitter(s), and the post-synaptic cell. Answer how antidepressant medications known as “SSRIs” alter neurotransmission.
2. Choose a drug of abuse. Explain how it affects the pharmacology of the body to produce its effects.
3. Describe the brain’s limbic system. List the principal organs which comprise this system, and their function. Explain in detail how limbic system dysfunction affects the behavior, cognition, and/or social functioning of an adolescent or adult client.
4. The frontal lobe and the pre-frontal cortex perform what kinds of functions in the brain? How can affective or behavioral dysregulation be explained by damage to the frontal lobe and/or pre-frontal cortex?
5. How does trauma affect the brain? Summarize relevant neurobiological information essential for counselors to know regarding trauma and/or its treatment.