Locating your Resources And Touring Mars
Go to the Website: Mars Exploration: Multimedia (nasa.gov)
You can click on the BLUE features in the Mars map and learn more about each feature. Use this map for reference.
Now go to the website illustrating an interactive map of Mars Trek (nasa.gov). Take the initial tour to become familiar with how to navigate this map and use the tools that you will need for below activities. If you ever need, just reload this page to reset everything.
On this map, you may explore additional geological features on the surface of Mars. Use the navigation tools to move around on the map and to expand or decrease the image size. You can click on different names to get additional information.(Please note on the image to the right you see some white clouds over a section of the planet, this is not the color of the surface.)
1. Locate Olympus Mons (Mons = mountain) and find its height and shape by using the line function under the tools button menu. Make sure you start at one edge of the volcano, cross the top, and reach the other side. Once you have drawn the yellow line, click the line, and calculate the elevation. An elevation map should appear on your screen. Take a screenshot of the elevation map and include it in your lab write up.
2. How does Olympus Mons compare with mountains on Earth? Look at properties like shape and altitude/height. (Research some of the mountains here on Earth and provide a comparison. Provide sources used.)
3. Describe the shape of Olympus Mons and its neighboring volcanoes in the Tharsis Volcanic Region. What does this tell us about the type of lava that formed these mountains? What is the name for this shape/type of volcano? (Additional research is necessary, provide citations for any sources used.)
4. Find Valles Marineris on your map. Use the line tool to find the elevation map from one cliff to another across the Valles Marineris name (see the image below). Click on the yellow line and click on “calculate elevation.” Include a screenshot of the elevation map in your lab write up.
5. What type of feature is this and what geological processes created it? How does it compare to similar features on Earth, both in size and its’ formation? Are there other features like this on Mars? If so, where are they located and how were they formed?
THE NORTHERN LOWLANDS
6. Located the Acidalia Planitia. Click on the name and then click on additional information. This opens up another web page. Notice the elevation map of Mars on the right side of the page. It is structured so that oranges, reds, and whites are higher elevations with white being the highest and greens, teals, and blues are the lower elevations with blue being the lowest. What do you notice about the elevation of Mars in the northern latitudes? What about the elevation of Mars in the southern latitudes?
7. Why is the elevation of the Northern Lowlands so much lower than the Southern Highlands? (Additional research is necessary.)
WHAT IS HELLAS PLANITIA, AND HOW DID IT FORM?
8. Located Hellas Planitia on your map. Is it located in the Northern Lowlands or the Southern Highlands?
9. What about Hellas Planitia makes it stand out from other features in this region?
10. How do we know this is one of the oldest surfaces on Mars?
Task 2: Applying What you Have Learned
Overall Geological Processes on Mars
11. From your brief survey, what are the primary geological processes that shaped the surface of Mars that we now see? List each process and give an example of a feature found on Mars that applies. Is there any evidence for tectonic activity or volcanism today (make sure to do some research on this)? How is the geology of Mars different from the geology on Earth (give specific examples)?
Selecting Landing Sites on Mars for further Geological Exploration
Click on the bookmarks button menu to explore the different landing sites of the various rovers and landers that have been sent to Mars. Make sure you add them to your map and take a look at the various points of interest (blue circles). Notice how little ground each rover covers by zooming out to gain perspective.
12. Where would you locate the next Lander mission on Mars and why (give the specific geographical location by researching the latitude/longitude and including the name of the region/area)?
13. What are some of the geological features at your selected landing site? (Include what geological process formed them.)
14. Give one strong scientific justification for your choice of landing site.
15. Explain how your choice would further our understanding of the planet, what kind of tests would you run? (Be sure to include any references you used with citations.) For more information on Locating Your Resources and Touring Mars check out : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7zpojhD4hpI
Plagiarism Free Papers
Thehomeworkwritings.com’s team of writers write all papers from scratch. We deliver 100% original, unique papers. That’s what makes us the best custom homework writing service
We provide unlimited free revisions to all customers and on all papers. Try The Homework Writings today for the best custom homework writing service and experience in the industry.
Thehomeworkwritings.com gives clients title pages free of charge. Your only job is to fill out our order form. We will handle the rest.
As the leading essay writing service, we never submit any paper without a reference/bibliography page. We do this free of charge too.
Originality & Security
At Thehomeworkwritings.com, we take great pride in delivering only high-quality 100% original papers to all our clients. We also never share any of our clients’ information with third parties. Your data is safe with us.
24/7 Customer Support
No other custom homework writing service has a friendly, always available customer support team to respond to clients like us.
Try it now!
How it works?
Follow these simple steps to get your paper done
Place your order
Fill in the order form and provide all details of your assignment.
Proceed with the payment
Choose the payment system that suits you most.
Receive the final file
Once your paper is ready, we will email it to you.
Why outsource our services
We have the best customer support team for your essay writing needs.
You won’t find any other custom homework writing service with pricing as flexible and affordable as ours.
Admission help & Client-Writer Contact
We provide a direct line of communication with our writers for the best writing experience.
As the leading custom homework writing service, we take deadlines very seriously. You will have your paper submitted on time without any delays.
We truly value your feedback, good or bad, and always use your feedback to help us provide you with an even better custom homework writing service