You may already have been told on more than one occasion that employers are looking for people who have good communication skills. What does this mean, exactly? When signing up for this class, what did you think was meant by the communication piece? Do you consider yourself a good communicator?
Students often tell me they’ve given “lots of presentations,” so they feel comfortable communicating. Really? What, exactly, were you communicating? Who were you communicating to? What was the objective of your communication? Was your communication effective?
The purpose of this assignment is to introduce you to common assumptions we make when communicating with each other. Keep in mind that there is both explicit (obvious) and implicit (not obvious) components to communicating. I challenge you to identify these different components within this assignment.
Complete the entire assignment before posting your initial response in the Discussion forum.
Please watch the ~10 minute TED Talk video below, and address the following while watching:
1. Before you begin, explain whether or not the simple fact of watching a TED Talk imparts a bias on your perception of the information you are going to hear.
2. Monitor your reaction to the speaker throughout the presentation. Make sure to pay attention to your reaction before the presentation begins (when the speaker appears) as well as during the presentation. Describe your reactions and explain why you reacted in this manner. You may want/need to watch the video more than once.
3. Finally, how do you interpret the purpose and effectiveness of this presentation? Explain, keeping in mind the purpose of this assignment.
The following link will take you to the Gender Action Portal (GAP), which is “a collection of research evaluating the impact of specific policies, strategies, and organizational practices to advance gender equity.” Read the Introduction (and other components if you like). Then, scroll down to the bottom of the page to see Related GAP Studies. I suggest viewing the STEM or Bias categories. Choose one additional topic to read about.
1. Comment on one fact you read from the website that surprised you. Alternatively, you may comment on one fact you read that you may have experienced personally.
2. While focus is often placed on written or spoken communication skills, it is important to understand the unintentional means by which communication occurs and the significant ramifications that can result. Why do you think I have chosen this website for you to examine as part of this assignment? In other words, what do the articles on this website have to do with communication?
Plagiarism Free Papers
All our papers are original and written from scratch. We will email you a plagiarism report alongside your completed paper once done.
All papers are submitted ahead of time. We do this to allow you time to point out any area you would need revision on, and help you for free.
A title page preceeds all your paper content. Here, you put all your personal information and this we give out for free.
Without a reference/bibliography page, any academic paper is incomplete and doesnt qualify for grading. We also offer this for free.
Originality & Security
At thehomeworkwritings.com, we take confidentiality seriously and all your personal information is stored safely and do not share it with third parties for any reasons whatsoever. Our work is original and we send plagiarism reports alongside every paper.
24/7 Customer Support
Our agents are online 24/7. Feel free to contact us through email or talk to our live agents.
Try it now!
How it works?
Follow these simple steps to get your paper done
Place your order
Fill in the order form and provide all details of your assignment.
Proceed with the payment
Choose the payment system that suits you most.
Receive the final file
Once your paper is ready, we will email it to you.
We work around the clock to see best customer experience.
Our prices are pocket friendly and you can do partial payments. When that is not enough, we have a free enquiry service.
Admission help & Client-Writer Contact
When you need to elaborate something further to your writer, we provide that button.
We take deadlines seriously and our papers are submitted ahead of time. We are happy to assist you in case of any adjustments needed.
Your feedback, good or bad is of great concern to us and we take it very seriously. We are, therefore, constantly adjusting our policies to ensure best customer/writer experience.