English 102: Essay #2
Here is the directive for your second essay:
Explication, or, more technically, “explication de texte,” is defined as a “method of literary criticism in which the interrelated details of a written work are examined and analyzed in an effort to understand its structure and discover its meanings.” The term “structure,” of course, describes much more than just the form (sonnet, villanelle, free verse, etc.) of a poem. In other words, explicating a poem entails conducting a detailed analysis of both structure and content. The term “content” refers to the language of a poem. In other terms, then, analyzing the content of a poem involves offering a careful analysis of the specific words of a poem; this careful analysis of the language of a poem will, of course, lead to a discussion of other elements as well, including setting, speaker, metaphor, irony, etc. (the interrelated details).
With that said, here is the actual assignment for the second essay:
Choose one (1) of the poems from the syllabus and write a detailed analysis of its form and content. You might consider discussing such things as the reason(s) why the poet chose the verse form s/he did, the relationship between the form of the poem and its content, the effect of such stylistic devices as alliteration, assonance, rhyme, meter variation, caesuras, enjambment, line breaks, etc., and/or the relation of the poem to its literary-historical context.
Poems to choose from:
-James Joyce “Eveline”
-Ernest Hemingway “Hill’s Like White Elephants”
-Jhumpa Lahiri “Interpreter of Maladies“
Regardless of how you approach the essay, I expect it to be structured around some organizing thesis (main argument) that you pursue throughout your analysis of the poem. In other words, the goal of the essay is to make an argument about what the poem means through a careful analysis of its form and content. Finally, be sure to read the requirements listed below, as this essay differs from the previous one in that it requires you to use an outside critical source in your essay.
The requirements for the essay are as follows:
• Essay must be exactly 3 pages in length (no more and no less)
• Essay must be argumentative in nature
• Essay must use a sufficient number of textual examples–quotations followed by explanation and interpretation–as argumentative support
• Essay must contain at least one in-text citation from a reputable secondary source
• Essay must adhere to MLA standards and guidelines
• Essay must contain a “Works Cited” page
• Rough draft of the essay must be exchanged with other class members (see below)
Also, here are a few things you should keep in mind as you are writing your essay:
• Your essay should contain a well-argued thesis statement
• The “body” of your essay should work to support your thesis statement
• Your essay should be free of grammatical and punctuation errors
• Titles of poems should be placed inside quotation marks
• Quoted lines of poetry should be separated by a slash, and the parenthetical citation should refer to the line numbers of the quotation, as in the following example: In “The Road Not Taken,” Robert Frost writes, “Two roads diverged in a yellow wood / And sorry I could not travel both” (1- 2). For more information on Poetry Analysis check on this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Poetry_analysis
Plagiarism Free Papers
Thehomeworkwritings.com’s team of writers write all papers from scratch. We deliver 100% original, unique papers. That’s what makes us the best custom homework writing service
We provide unlimited free revisions to all customers and on all papers. Try The Homework Writings today for the best custom homework writing service and experience in the industry.
Thehomeworkwritings.com gives clients title pages free of charge. Your only job is to fill out our order form. We will handle the rest.
As the leading essay writing service, we never submit any paper without a reference/bibliography page. We do this free of charge too.
Originality & Security
At Thehomeworkwritings.com, we take great pride in delivering only high-quality 100% original papers to all our clients. We also never share any of our clients’ information with third parties. Your data is safe with us.
24/7 Customer Support
No other custom homework writing service has a friendly, always available customer support team to respond to clients like us.
Try it now!
How it works?
Follow these simple steps to get your paper done
Place your order
Fill in the order form and provide all details of your assignment.
Proceed with the payment
Choose the payment system that suits you most.
Receive the final file
Once your paper is ready, we will email it to you.
Why outsource our services
We have the best customer support team for your essay writing needs.
You won’t find any other custom homework writing service with pricing as flexible and affordable as ours.
Admission help & Client-Writer Contact
We provide a direct line of communication with our writers for the best writing experience.
As the leading custom homework writing service, we take deadlines very seriously. You will have your paper submitted on time without any delays.
We truly value your feedback, good or bad, and always use your feedback to help us provide you with an even better custom homework writing service