1. What is the difference between a culturally violent offender, criminally violence offender, and a situationally violent offender? Which should we fear the most; the least? Why?
2. Why is workplace violence such an issue? How does knowing fact about workplace violence help prevent incidents?
3. Why do you think the overall rate of intimate partner violence declined from 1994 to 2010? How do we ensure the rate continues to decline?
4. Some argue that the U.S. has a culture of violence. Do you agree? Why or why not?
5. Explain graffiti. How is this related to other crime and disorder? Which of the four types would be the worst? Explain why you selected that one.
6. What is shoplifting? What are some trends in shoplifting and why is important to recognize these?
7. Which region (northeast, west, south, or Midwest) in 2016 had the highest rate of violent crime? Why do you think that region had the highest rate?
RESPOND TO THIS POST
Graffiti includes unauthorized images, markings, and writing on private or public property such as buildings, vehicles and even bridges. Some use it as expression while others may use it to send a message. Graffiti is considered a type of vandalism. Graffiti is often related to acts of public disorder such as littering and loitering. It can also be connected to gang violence in cases where gangs use graffiti to send messages to one another and lastly it can also be connected to property destruction. There are four major different types of graffiti: gang graffiti, tagger graffiti, conventional graffiti, and ideological graffiti. Gang graffiti is used by gangs to send messages or to mark territory. Tagger graffiti would be street art. Conventional graffiti is often committed by youth and is typically isolated incidents. Ideological graffiti is used to convey political messages or messages related to race or religion. I believe that gang graffiti is the worst of the four types of graffiti because it shows that there is at least one gang present in the area the graffiti took place. Gang graffiti creates a sense of fear and unrest in communities. Having gang graffiti also targets the area for violence from other gangs causing innocent people to be potential victims of crime.